Wednesday 30 April 2008

Day 17 (April 27th) CONCERT

The past few days have been a blur, and I still can't believe it's over already! I don't even know where to begin...how about the concert itself? :)

Hanna and I woke up early on Sunday morning to prepare ourselves for the day. After a quick breakfast and some last minute practicing, we were off to Harmony Hall. We were feeling good about things, and not too nervous. We arrived at Harmony Hall and started getting ready. We had done our hair/makeup before we left our house, but everyone brought their dresses and put them on there.
[helping Yuka with her dress]
By then I felt a tiny bit nervous, but mostly excited and anticipating what was about to happen. All of the students (250+) were told to go to the small hall and wait until it was our turn to play. It was nice because they had a screen and speakers set up, so we could watch and hear the concert even though we couldn't be in the main hall.

Each group of 10 people were called every few minutes, and before long, they were calling for the Paderewski Minuet! (That's us.) So we lined up with the other students, and went down the hallway towards the main hall. Once outside the main hall, we lined up and waited with the other students. Almost too soon, the group before us played the end of their piece. We all took a deep breath and walked out onto the stage. Luckily, I didn't trip and fall or anything. :)

And....it was amazing. The feeling of playing and hearing such an awesome sound coming from 10 grand pianos is unbelievable. I forgot everything I was thinking about before and just focused on making the best sound I possibly could. Everyone felt that their hard practicing had finally paid off!

After our piece was the Beethoven Turkish March (performed by boys only) and then Clair de Lune, (performed by girls only.) And then for the end, Rondo Brilliant by Weber. And brilliant it was! It sounded like a difficult piece to play as a solo, but even more difficult with 9 other people. After all pieces had been played, we were all brought out on stage for the "final bow."
Was it over? Not quite yet. ;) That was the first performance, and we had to eat lunch and do it all over again!

I have to say that I've never seen so many students looking so nice with the boys looking handsome in their suits and the girls in their gorgeous dresses. :) After all was said and done, Hanna and I changed out of our concert dresses and found Okaa-san and Yuka and got in the car and drove to the Buena Vista hotel where the banquet was being held. The banquet was a lot of fun! Lots of picture taking, and several heartfelt speeches from teachers, students, and even from Dr. Kataoka's daughter and son. I think I might've even seen a few of the teachers tearing up at more than one of those. ;)

After the banquet, everyone said goodnight to each other, and said what a wonderful concert it was. We drove back to our house and Hanna and I started the task of...packing!

I've heard from other students who have been to more than one 10 piano concert that once you go to one, you are addicted and can't wait to do it again! I know I will remember the experiences I had, the kindness and generosity I was shown, the friends I made, and this trip forever. Not everyone has gotten such an opportunity as this, and I am thankful that I was given this opportunity!


It's good to be home. ;)

1 comment:

Junosmom said...

Golly, I tear up just reading this! I do hope you keep writing more of your experience. And then, there are all the photos to go through!