Thursday 1 May 2008

Leaving

I didn't know it was going to be so hard. But surprisingly, (or not so surprisingly?) it was. All too soon, we were dragging our heavy suitcases down the stairs and into our homestay family's cars. Then within minutes we were standing at the bus station, saying goodbye. I didn't think I was going to cry, but what do you know, Okaa-san started to tear up, and of course I couldn't hold it in either. ;) We thanked them again for their kindness, and told them we hoped to see them again someday.

At the banquet, one of the students made a short speech about how that when he came to Japan, one would think that he would be homesick, and I'm sure he was a little. But he would also get homesick when he came back from Japan, because he really had become part of that Japanese family, and felt a closeness to them.

I hope to be able to see my Japanese family again someday, and who knows, it may be sooner than I think. :)

Two random things you may or may not know about Japan:
1. Everyone drives on the left side of the road. (Hard for Americans to get used to.) ;)This also means that moving walkways in airports are also like this.

2. All books/magazines open from the left side, instead of the right.

So does this make Japan just a backwards country? ;D


3 comments:

Junosmom said...

Or does it make us backwards? Wonderfully written, again. I would say that I'm happy that love expands and grows as it is given, and it not a finite product. I am happy that you were able to love your Japanese family and was happy to share your love - for a short time. I'm happy you are back, as hard as it was to leave.

Ed Mahony said...

Over here in the UK, we also drive on the left (seems normal to us) but I guess what it is you are used to).

Must have had an interesting time in Japan.

George said...

I must admit even though I'm a guy that I teared up a bit reading your goodbye.